Dr. Buket Benek Gursoy
Buket has a B.Sc. degree in Mathematical Engineering and an M.Sc. degree in Computational Science and Engineering from the Istanbul Technical University, Turkey.
During her M.Sc. study, she has worked on implementing numerical algorithms and using scientific programming libraries for solving large sparse/non-sparse linear systems of equations in parallel environment.
Buket received her Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Oliver Mason at the Hamilton Institute, NUI Maynooth, Ireland. During her Ph.D., she has worked on the problems connected to nonnegative matrices that appear in diverse applications of science and engineering. She was particularly concerned with the stability and spectral properties of nonnegative matrices in the max algebra with applications in ranking in multi-criteria decision making problems.
Buket joined ICHEC in November 2012 as a computational scientist under the European HPC project PRACE. In ICHEC, she is primarily involved in research activities within the GPGPU Computing group and deals with installing, porting and analysing accelerator-based scientific codes that are developed in the context of PRACE. Buket's work has been featured in the NVIDIA's Women Who CUDA Campaign.
PRACE Whitepapers (2014-2014):
- B. Benek Gursoy, H. R. Nagel, An Analysis of State of the Art Tools for Preparing DL_POLY_4 for Exascale, PRACE Whitepaper (2014).
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles (2011-2014):
- B. Benek Gursoy, S. Kirkland, O. Mason and S. Sergeev, The Markov chain tree theorem and the state reduction algorithm in commutative semirings, http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.7094, 2014.
- B. Benek Gursoy, S. Kirkland, O. Mason and S. Sergeev, On the Markov Chain Tree Theorem in the Max Algebra, Electronic Journal of Linear Algebra 26 (2013) 15-27.
- B. Benek Gursoy, O. Mason and S. Sergeev, The Analytic Hierarchy Process, Max Algebra and Multi-objective Optimisation, Linear Algebra Appl. 438 (2013) 2911-2928.
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, P1max and Smax properties and asymptotic stability in the max algebra, Linear Algebra Appl. 435 (2011) 1008–1018.
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, Spectral properties of matrix polynomials in the max algebra, Linear Algebra Appl. 435 (2011) 1626-1636.
Conference Publications and Abstracts (2005-2014):
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, P1max and Smax properties and asymptotic stability in the tropical linear algebra, International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS), 2011, Braunschweig, Germany.
- B. Benek Gursoy and O. Mason, Matrix Polynomials in the Max Algebra; Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors and Inequalities, International Linear Algebra Society (ILAS), 2010, Pisa, Italy.
- B. Benek and M. Demiralp, Approximation Methods for the Solution of Quantum Evolution Equations at the Zero Fluctuation Limit, Multivariate Analysis and its Application in Science and Engineering (MAASE), 2008, Istanbul.
- B. Benek and H. Dag, A Comparison of Decomposition Techniques for Structurally Symmetric Sparse Matrices for Parallel Incomplete LU Factorization, International Conference on Computational Science and Education (ICCSE), 2006, Rochester NY.
- H. Dag, G. Soykan and B. Benek, Can Interval Arithmetic Based Preconditioner Work For Nonlinear Systems?, International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (ICCSE), 2005, Istanbul.
- Bjørn Lindi, Jan Christian Meyer, Thomas Ponweiser and Buket Benek Gursoy, Exploiting HPC Tools and Techniques, META Magazine , Number 1, 2014.