HPC Performance Engineer - Postdoctoral Researcher/Research Associate
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed term position as a Postdoctoral Researcher/Research Associate with the Irish Centre for High End Computing (ICHEC) at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is available from June 2021 for 15 months and based at our offices in Dublin or Galway.
Irish Centre for High-End Computing (ICHEC)
ICHEC is Ireland’s national centre for High-Performance Computing (HPC) providing digital infrastructure capabilities and expertise through R&D engagements and skills development programmes to academia, industry and public sector organisations.
With a highly ambitious leading-edge Strategy for 2021-2025, ICHEC provides infrastructure services and expertise in HPC and data intelligence to develop efficient platforms, solutions and services based on technologies including AI, high performance data analytics, Earth Observation, quantum computing and cybersecurity across a number of sectors including environmental sciences, healthcare, agriculture, energy, financial services and ICT.
ICHEC works in close partnership with a number of national and international researchers, enterprises and public authorities for joint R&D, skills development, and provisioning HPC and data services to accelerate their digital transformation and green transition.
For more details reach out to our Centre Technical Manager Dr. Venkatesh Kannan, or visit www.ichec.ie.
The HPC Performance Engineer will be an integral member of the Performance Engineering (PE) Activity at ICHEC, working in close collaboration with a number of national and international research groups and enterprise partners across a wide range of HPC, data management, AI and high-performance data analytics technologies, their research, development and application to a number of domains such as environmental sciences, Earth Observation, healthcare, agritech, fintech and others.
Duties: The Performance Engineering Activity at ICHEC focuses on:
- research and development of methods and tools for performance analysis and optimisation of workloads and workflows for time-to-solution and energy-efficiency at processor-, node- and cluster-levels;
- Parallel programming models and frameworks targeting different HPC architectures (x86, GPU, ARM, RISC-V and others) on edge devices, clusters and cloud computing platforms;
- Software and tools for HPC data storage, file and management systems.
The successful candidate will
- be involved in a number of R&D projects to bring HPC performance engineering capabilities to all other Activities on Big Data Analytics, AI & Edge Computing, Environmental Sciences and hybrid HPC-Quantum Computing;
- work closely with national and international research/industry partners who are HPC technology developers and end-users for collaborative R&D;
- assist the Centre in identifying and seeking new opportunities, partnerships and projects;
- disseminate the outcomes of the projects through reports, research publications, press releases and presentations at events;
- prepare and deliver training courses to academic researchers, industry and public sector audiences.
This is a role for a highly motivated problem-solver, with a creative and analytical mind, who is excited to leverage and drive performance engineering tools and techniques to build new solutions that will have a global impact.
- A Master’s Degree with experience of at least 4 years, or a Ph.D. in a HPC, Computational Science, or a related discipline.
- Robust knowledge of HPC covering at least one of the following areas:
- Computer architectures (CPU, accelerator, edge computing device, or others).
- Parallel programming models (MPI, OpenMP, CUDA, OpenCL, OmpSs, or others).
- Data storage (distributed/parallel file systems, storage systems, I/O optimisation).
- Performance analysis (profiling and tracing tools, performance modelling, energy consumption, compiler/manual instrumentation, etc.).
- Performance optimisation methods and tools (shared/distributed memory applications, data/task parallelism, workload and workflow orchestration, energy efficiency, etc.).
- Working experience with HPC systems, batch schedulers, CI/CD pipeline tools.
- Working experience with languages such as C, C++, Fortran, Julia, Python, or similar.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with academic, research and industry partners, with excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Experience in building, optimising and deploying machine learning and data science workflows on HPC clusters and/or cloud-based HPC systems (AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, etc.).
- Familiarity with novel technologies such as Quantum Computing and its integration with classical HPC at systems and software levels.
- Exposure to Agile/PRINCE2 project management frameworks.
Salary: €44,659 to €50,031 per annum pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts (public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).
Start date: Position is available from June 2021 for 15 months, renewable subject to funding availability.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans. NUI Galway provides continuing professional development supports for all researchers seeking to build their own career pathways either within or beyond academia. Researchers are encouraged to engage with our Researcher Development Centre (RDC) upon commencing employment - see www.nuigalway.ie/rdc for further information.
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
Further information about ICHEC is available at www.ichec.ie
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to email@example.com
Applications to include a 1-page covering letter summarising your suitability and motivation for the role, CV (max. 3 pages), and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in a single PDF only) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put reference number NUIG RES107-21 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm Tuesday, 13th July 2021
Due to the University closure related to COVID-19, interviews may have to take place virtually and start dates may need to be delayed
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment. National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
NUI Galway reserves the right to re-advertise or extend the closing date for this post.