Research Fellow – Senior Machine Learning Data Scientist
Research Fellow – Senior Machine Learning Data Scientist
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed term position as a Research Fellow with the Irish Centre for High End Computing (ICHEC) at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is available from October 2021 based at our offices in Dublin or Galway.
Irish Centre for High-End Computing (ICHEC)
ICHEC is Ireland’s national centre for High-Performance Computing (HPC) providing digital infrastructure capabilities and expertise through R&D engagements and skills development programmes to academia, industry and public sector organisations.
With a highly ambitious leading-edge Strategy for 2021-2025, ICHEC provides infrastructure services and expertise in HPC and data intelligence to develop efficient platforms, solutions and services based on technologies including AI, high performance data analytics, Earth Observation, quantum computing and cybersecurity across a number of sectors including environmental sciences, healthcare, agriculture, energy, financial services and ICT.
ICHEC works in close partnership with a number of national and international researchers, enterprises and public authorities for joint R&D, skills development, and provisioning HPC and data services to accelerate their digital transformation and green transition.
For more details reach out to our Centre Technical Manager Dr. Venkatesh Kannan, or visit www.ichec.ie.
Job Description & Duties:
The successful candidate with expertise in Machine Learning and Data Science will be an integral senior member of the Big Data & Analytics and AI & Edge Computing Activities, working in close collaboration with national and international partners in academia, industry and public sector partners to leverage HPC, data management, AI and high-performance data analytics technologies across several application domains.
Key focus areas of the Big Data & Analytics and AI & Edge Computing Activities include:
- Developing and deploying ML-based models, workflows and applications for use-cases in a number of domains including environmental sciences, healthcare, agriculture, logistics, etc.;
- Using ML methods for data enhancement and augmenting numerical simulation models;
- Development of tools and solutions for data analytics and visualisation to be deployed on HPC cluster or cloud-based platforms/environments.
The successful candidate will be involved at technical leadership capacity
- in a number of real-world R&D projects related to the Big Data & Analytics, AI & Edge Computing and Environmental Sciences Activities to develop technical solutions;
- working closely with national and international academic, industry and public sector partners who are HPC and AI technology developers and its end-users;
- assisting the Centre in identifying and seeking new opportunities, partnerships and projects;
- disseminating the outcomes of the projects through reports, publications, press releases and presentations at events;
- preparing and delivering training courses to academic, industry and public sector audiences.
This is a role for a highly motivated problem-solver, with a creative and analytical mind, who is excited to work hands-on to develop and deploy real-world solutions using ML and data science on existing and emerging compute platforms and environments.
- A Master's Degree with 10+ years of relevant experience, or Ph.D. with at least 3 years of relevant experience in Computer Science, AI, Data Science, or a related discipline.
- Experience in building, optimising, testing, deploying solutions using machine/deep learning models and algorithms for real-world problems.
- Experience with one or more languages such as Python, Perl, R, Ruby, C, C++, or similar.
- Experience with virtualisation and containerisation of software stacks and applications (Kubernetes, Docker, Singularity, etc.).
- Experience in developing and deploying applications on HPC cluster or cloud computing platforms using CI/CD workflow tools.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with academic, research and industry partners, with excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Knowledge of techniques and tools for data mining, cleaning, visualisation, or big data processing.
- Knowledge of HPC architectures, parallel programming models or performance profilers.
- Knowledge of emerging methods such as Quantum Machine Learning and related toolkits such as IBM Qiskit, TensorFlow Quantum, PennyLane, or others.
- Exposure to Agile/PRINCE2 project management frameworks.
Salary: €67,900 - €72,859 per annum pro rata (public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).
Start date: Position is available from October 1, 2021 for 11 months, renewable subject to funding availability.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans. NUI Galway provides continuing professional development supports for all researchers seeking to build their own career pathways either within or beyond academia. Researchers are encouraged to engage with our Researcher Development Centre (RDC) upon commencing employment - see www.nuigalway.ie/rdc for further information.
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
Further information about ICHEC is available at www.ichec.ie
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to include a 1-page covering letter summarising your suitability and motivation for the role, CV (max. 3 pages), and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in a single PDF only) to email@example.com
Please put reference number NUIG RES 183-21 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm Friday, September 17th, 2021
Due to the University closure related to COVID-19, interviews may have to take place virtually and start dates may need to be delayed
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment. National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
NUI Galway reserve the right to readvertise or extend the closing date for this post.