Research Software Engineer
Research Software Engineer
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed term position as a Research Software Engineer with the Irish Centre for High End Computing (ICHEC) at the University of Galway.
This position is available from January 2023 to work on high-performance computing and data management projects. The candidate will be based at our offices in Dublin or Galway with the option for a hybrid work from home arrangement.
The position of Research Software Engineer is a technical role and will be an integral component of the Infrastructure Programme at ICHEC. Its primary purpose will be in the development and operation of a diverse set of services and platforms across a number of computer architectures, storage systems and public cloud infrastructures. The Infrastructure Programme works in tandem with all other Activities at the Centre including AI & Edge Computing, Big Data & Analytics, Environmental Sciences, Performance Engineering, Quantum Computing, and Training & Education.
The postholder will join the existing ICHEC infrastructure team and work alongside ICHEC technical staff as well as external partners in academia, industry and public sector in designing, developing and operating a diverse variety of both research and production oriented services. ICHEC is increasingly involved with developing and implementing data oriented platforms within a federated national and European ecosystem of shared services and this role will be key to progressing this objective. The role will be involved in all stages of the project lifecycle from assisting the Centre in identifying new opportunities and designing solutions in conjunction with partners and customers through to the technical implementation and delivery of these platforms.
Interested candidates with the qualifications specified below, should contact email@example.com for further details
Selected responsibilities and duties for this post include, and are not limited to:
- Technical design, development and implementation of software platforms and services
- Design user-facing as well as middleware platforms and services across a number of domains including data science, machine learning and high performance computing.
- Develop these platforms using a combination of existing open source software and development of new software.
- Deploy platforms using a combination of public cloud and in house infrastructure, incorporating security and resilience measures to ensure a high quality of service.
- Contribute to new project proposals and reports for current projects
- Provide technical input to project proposals including technical design and assessment of resource requirements.
- Document the project progress and produce reports and technical documentation as part of project delivery.
- Meet with prospective customers and partners to discuss and develop ideas for new projects and collaborative funding proposals.
The list of duties detailed above is not intended to be exhaustive or restrictive and may be adjusted dependent on the area of research.
- Applicants must have a higher degree (Level 8) in computational science/computer science, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience (min. 3+ years) in a similar technical environment.
- Significant experience (min 3 years) developing software applications using languages commonly used in modern data science and machine learning communities (Python, R, C, C++)
- Significant experience (min 3 years) with the Linux OS environment and with developing and deploying applications on HPC cluster and cloud computing platforms (OpenStack, AWS, Microsoft Azure) using CI/CD workflow tools (GitLab).
- Experience with containerisation of software stacks and applications (Kubernetes, Docker, Singularity).
- Good knowledge and experience in managing fault tolerant, clustered services and cluster management software.
- Good knowledge of fundamental Layer 2 networking and network services such as DNS and Apache and Nginx web servers.
- Experience deploying configuration management (Ansible, Saltstack) and monitoring tools (Graphite, Grafana, Nagios, Icinga).
- Experience managing and deploying applications on Microsoft Windows Server platform.
- Building, optimising, testing and deploying machine learning and data science solutions on HPC cluster and/or cloud computing platforms.
- Certification in Agile or PRINCE2 project management frameworks.
Administrative Officer, Grade 4. Salary €44,659 to €50,031 per annum pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts (public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).