Senior Operations and Finance Manager - AO level
Senior Operations and Finance Manager - Administrative Officer
Applications are invited for an appointment as Senior Operations and Finance Manager, AO level, Specific Purpose Contract, Irish Centre for High-End Computing (ICHEC) at NUI Galway. The position may be based in ICHEC’s Dublin 2 offices or on campus at NUI Galway.
The position of Senior Operations & Finance Manager at ICHEC is a new senior role. Its primary purpose is to strengthen the governance of the Centre by implementing a formal framework of policies and procedures in key domains of operations, and particularly financial management. As well as strengthening governance, this appointment is also expected to deliver significant productivity gains by developing a coherent and integrated framework for internal processes and ensuring their full and consistent adoption across the Centre. They will be responsible for ensuring the Centre’s policies and procedures comply with regulatory and ethical standards as well as with those of the Centre’s legal and administrative host, NUI Galway
For informal enquiries, please contact Ms Lisa Walkin, firstname.lastname@example.org, +353 (0)1 529 1030.
Additional information on the Irish Centre for High-End Computing (ICHEC) is available at: www.ichec.ie
Information on the University's Strategic Plan is available at: http://www.nuigalway.ie/strategy2025/
€71,440 to €90,400 p.a (applicable to new entrants effective from January, 2011)
(This appointment will be made on the Administrative Officer scale in line with current Government pay policy)
Closing date for receipt of applications is 17:00 (Irish Time) on 17th June 2021. It will not be possible to consider applications received after the closing date.
Garda vetting may apply.
Appointments will be conditional on work authorisation validation.
Further details are available at www.dbei.ie
For more information and Application Form please see website:
http://www.nuigalway.ie/about-us/jobs/ Applications should be submitted online.
Please note that appointment to posts advertised will be dependent upon University approval, together with the terms of the Employment Control Framework for the higher education sector.
National University of Ireland Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
1. Role Relationships
The post holder has specific job contact with:
- Management, staff & students at ICHEC
- Internal NUI Galway staff, Research Accounting, Research Office, Internal Auditor, External Auditors, Research Office, Procurement
- External funding agencies
- The Chairman of the NUI Galway ICHEC Management Committee (currently Professor Walter Gear)
- The Chairman of the ICHEC Governance Board (currently Martin Hynes)
The post holder has general contact with:
- Other internal NUI Galway offices, Financial accounting, Payroll, HR.
- PhD/Master students
- NUI Galway ICHEC Management Committee
- ICHEC Governance Board
The position of Senior Operations & Finance Manager at ICHEC is a new senior role. Its primary purpose is to strengthen the governance of the Centre by implementing a formal framework of policies and procedures in key domains of operations, and particularly financial management. As well as strengthening governance, this appointment is also expected to deliver significant productivity gains by developing a coherent and integrated framework for internal processes and ensuring their full and consistent adoption across the Centre. They will be responsible for ensuring the Centre’s policies and procedures comply with regulatory and ethical standards as well as with those of the Centre’s legal and administrative host, NUI Galway (further details below).
The postholder will join the ICHEC Executive Committee and Project Management Office and will be in attendance to the ICHEC Governance Board and the NUI Galway ICHEC Management Committee. Administrative staff will be available for delegation.
A key aspect of the role will be the timely, and accurate, production of reports for internal and external requirements. The role will also include coordinating the provision of financial planning and services support to funding applications, individual project management reports, business development pipeline management, resource planning etc., including responsibility for the delivery of this service within the Centre.
Selected responsibilities and duties for this post include, and are not limited to:
1. Financial Management
- Implement robust financial management across the Centre,
- Co-ordinate preparations for external audits,
- Lead periodic internal audits,
- Monitor compliance with relevant aspects of the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies (adherence is on a comply or explain basis),
- Monitor compliance with of the Centre’s Performance Delivery Agreement,
- Review current operational practices and implement improvements,
- Review and update internal policies (e.g., procurement policies, finance procedures, reporting requirements, internal authorisations, etc.),
- Prepare and file required documents,
- Assist with the maintenance of the Centre’s risk register,
- Maintain regulatory knowledge, including but not restricted to data protection and FOI requests (through NUI Galway),
- Contribute to strategic decision-making for the Centre,
- Manage contractual aspects of strategic relationships, from contract inception to termination,
- Inform and train staff regarding their obligations and best practice,
- Reinforce our culture of ethics and integrity.
The above responsibilities will be carried out in close coordination with other members of the senior management team who will assist with the preparation of regular internal audits and implementation of control systems. Although the highly technical area of ICT infrastructure will remain the responsibility of the Head of Infrastructure, the postholder will also provide valuable input on the management of high-level risks and compliance requirements.
Currently ICHEC manages its compliance functions in accordance with all required legislation and obligations under the guidance of our supportive Governance Board and NUI Galway. It is envisaged that the Senior Operations & Finance Manager will ensure that all necessary compliance activities are streamlined for the next period of ICHEC's growth. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Compliance with NUI Galway policies, e.g., for procurement, health & safety, human resources, etc.,
- Compliance with legal and regulatory requirements that may not have been captured already through NUI Galway policies,
- Adherence to internal policies and processes, e.g., for effort reporting, budgeting, income generation, etc.,
- Contractual obligations, e.g., financial management and reporting requirements to funders, agreed timeline and quality assurance for deliverables to industry clients, etc.
The post holder will be responsible for liaising with ICHEC’s two main governance bodies, the ICHEC Governance Board and the NUI Galway ICHEC Management Committee and their chairpersons (Martin Hynes and Prof. Walter Gear respectively), assuming the position of Secretary to the Board. As part of this function, (s)he will provide a pro-active and confidential administrative support service to these two governance bodies as well as to the Centre Director and take overall responsibility for the preparation, quality assurance and timely distribution of all relevant material. Responsibilities also include reporting to ICHEC’s core stakeholders, currently the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation & Science (DFHERIS), the Higher Education Authority (HEA) and NUI Galway.