Niall Moran, Ph.D.
At ICHEC Niall works on multiple projects covering the areas of Quantum Computation, AI and traditional HPC. He is the PI and project leader of the PRACE WP8 QuantEx project which looks at developing scalable quantum circuit simulation tools for exa-scale platforms. In addition to this role his work includes the application of AI methods to earth observation data, consultancy for geoscience and GPU applications, coordination of quantum technologies journal club within ICHEC and development and teaching of courses (most recently Julia).
Prior to re-joining ICHEC, Niall held a number of industry positions including principle data scientist and manager at Cartrawler, senior data scientist at Corvil, Machine Vision Engineer at Valeo Vision and software developer at HP. He also spent a number of years in academia - completing his PhD in mathematical physics at Maynooth university and going on to work as a postdoc at École normale supérieure, Paris and Maynooth University. During this time he worked on quantum computation and simulation of systems relevant to topological quantum computation.
- BEng in electronic and computer engineering from NUI Galway
- PhD in Mathematical Physics from Maynooth University
- Constructing edge zero modes through domain wall angle conservation, D. Pellegrino, G. Kells, N. Moran, J. K. Slingerland, arXiv:1908.03459 (2019)
- Dynamics and level statistics of interacting fermions in the Lowest Landau Level, M. Fremling, C. Repellin, J.M. Stéphan, N. Moran, J. K. Slingerland, M. Haque, New J. Phys. 20 103036 (2018)
- Localization-enhanced and degraded topological-order in interacting p-wave wires G Kells, N Moran, D Meidan. Phys. Rev. B (2018)
- Trial wave functions for a Composite Fermi liquid on a torus M. Fremling, N. Moran, J. K. Slingerland, S. H. Simon Phys. Rev. B (2018)
- Parafermionic clock models and quantum resonance N. Moran, D. Pellegrino, J. K. Slingerland, G. Kells Phys. Rev. B (2017)
- Energy projection and modified Laughlin states M. Fremling, J. Fulsebakke, N. Moran, J. K. Slingerland Phys. Rev. B (2016)
- Topological d-wave pairing structures in Jain states N. Moran, A. Sterdyniak, I. Vidanovic, N. Regnault, M.V. Milovanovic Phys. Rev. B (2012)
- Supersymmetric lattice fermions on the triangular lattice: superfrustration and criticality, L. Huijse, D. Mehta, N. Moran, K. Schoutens, J. Vala New J. Phys. (2012)
- Exact ground states of a staggered super-symmetric model for lattice fermions, L. Huijse, N. Moran, J. Vala, K. Schoutens. Phys. Rev. B 84, 115124 (2011)
- Diagonalisation of quantum observables on regular lattices and general graphs, N. Moran, G. Kells, J. Vala. Comp. Phys. Comm. 182, 1083-1092 (2011)
- Valence bond states: link models, E. Rico, R. Hübener, S. Montangero, N. Moran, B. Pirvu, J. Vala, H.J. Briegel. Ann. Phys. 234, 1875-1896 (2009)
- Finite size effects in the Kitaev honeycomb lattice model on a torus. G. Kells, N. Moran, J. Vala. J. Stat. Mech. P03006 (2009)