eduroam is a service that allows roaming research and educational users to more easily obtain wireless network access at participating sites. When attaching to the eduroam wireless network at the visited site users will be prompted to authenticate and should provide the credentials that they use at their home site. The user is then authenticated against an authentication server at their home site, and if authentication succeeds the user is granted wireless network access.
Further information on eduroam is available from the national eduroam site for Ireland, which identifies eduroam sites in Ireland, and from the central eduroam service, which identifies eduroam sites worldwide.
ICHEC is a participating organisation of eduroam both as a Service Provider and an Identity Provider.
Wireless network details
The following are the details that you may need in order to verify compatibility of your wireless device, and to configure your wireless client to avail of the eduroam service at ICHEC's Dublin Office.
- Wireless network name (SSID): eduroam
- Encryption levels supported:
- AES (some wireless clients list this as an option under "WPA2" or "WPA2 Enterprise")
- TKIP (some wireless clients list this as an option under "WPA" or "WPA Enterprise")
- Authentication details:
- In addition to knowing your credentials, you may also need to explicitly configure your wireless client to allow your credentials to be conveyed securely to your home site. If any such configuration is needed, the relevant details are provided by your home site
In summary, once successfully authenticated your wireless device will have Internet access via IPv4.
Network access details
The following are the details of the network access provided from our college via eduroam:
- Transparent proxying of your traffic: No
- Network Address Translation (NAT) of wireless device address: Yes
- IPv6 support: No
The following protocols are allowed. Should you require an exception to be added, please contact a member of ICHEC's systems staff.
- HTTP: TCP/80
- HTTPS: TCP/443
- IMAP2+4: TCP/143
- IMAP3: TCP/220
- IMAPS: TCP/993
- POP: TCP/110
- POP3S: TCP/995
- SSH: TCP/22
- Passive (S)FTP: TCP/21
- SMTPS: TCP/465
- SMTP Submit with STARTTLS: TCP/587
- RDP: TCP/3389
- DNS: UDP/53 & TCP/53
- OpenVPN 2.0: UDP/1194
- DNS: UDP/53 & TCP/53
Should you encounter problems with the eduroam wireless network at ICHEC's Dublin office, you may contact a member of the systems staff.
Note that authentication problems should typically be addressed to the support staff at your home site, as the security mechanisms within eduroam mean that much of the detail of the authentication step is not visible to the support staff at visited sites.