State Supported Partnerships
ICHEC supports state funded research using HPC for advances in research, innovation and development
In addition to its central remit to support the HEI sector using High-Performance Computing ICHEC supports public sector programmes for research, development and innovation where excellence in HPC is required. The list of current and recently completed projects which ICHEC is involved in can be found here.
Enterprise Ireland is the state agency responsible for supporting the development of manufacturing and internationally traded services companies. It provides comprehensive support to the application of research and innovation to business challenges for both companies and researchers to develop new technologies and processes that will lead to job creation and increased exports.
- Innovation Voucher - The €5,000 vouchers are ideal to fund small or pilot projects, looking to investigate a new technology or undertake performance benchmark.
- Innovation Partnership - The programme provides up to 80% of the cost to undertake R&D project looking to develop new or improve existing processes and products.
The Environmental Protection Agency is responsible for protecting and improving the environment as a valuable asset for the people of Ireland. They are committed to protecting people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation and pollution. We play key roles in environmental regulation, provision of knowledge and advocacy for the environment.
ICHEC has a well established track record of securing research funding for environmental research through the EPA
- High-Resolution Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean-Wave Regional Climate Projections for Ireland (2020-2021)
- High-Resolution Gridded Datasets of Hydro-Climate Indices for Ireland (2017-2018)
- Towards a definitive historical high-resolution climate dataset for Ireland – promoting climate research in Ireland (2017-2019)
- An operational Climate Change Platform (2016-2017)
- EC-Earth Climate Simulations - Ireland's Contributions to CMIP6 (2017-2018)
- High-Resolution Climate Projections for Ireland – a Multi-Model Ensemble Approach (2015-2017)
- Estimating Changes of Extreme Events over Ireland using a Multimodal Ensemble (2009-2013)
The above place in the context of the ICHEC Environmental activity.
The European Space Agency is Europe's gateway to space. Its mission is to shape the development of Europe’s space capability and ensure that investment in space continues to deliver benefits to the citizens of Europe and the world. ICHEC recently secured funding through sub-contracting work. ICHEC in tends to win further ESA contracts as its Earth Observation expertise continues to develop.
- ESA Validation Data Centre (EVDC) (2016-2018)
Science Foundation Ireland is the national foundation for investment in scientific and engineering research.
- LERO 3, the Irish Software Research Centre brings together leading software research teams from Universities and Institutes of Technology in a coordinated centre of research excellence with a strong industry focus.
SFI also funded the current national supercomputer (Fionn) and its replacement (currently under procurement) through its Research Equipment calls (2012 and 2015). ICHEC also availed of funding support for outreach activities and Workshops.
A number of other funding bodies offer funding opportunities which ICHEC has successfully pursued to support its activities. These include:
- High Resolution Solar and Wind Energy Datasets for Ireland, funded by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) (2016)